A blog by Miami Criminal Defense Lawyer Brian Tannebaum. Commenting on criminal law issues of local and national interest.

Monday, March 26, 2007

A Criminal Defense Lawyer Goes On Vacation

I know, the headline makes the defense bar laugh.

No, not a long weekend, leaving on a Thursday afternoon, hoping to G-d that the world doesn't explode on Friday, I'm talking about a real, 10 day vacation.

Yep.

But what if a new case comes in? They can hire someone else.

What if it's a big case? They'll wait.

What about the clients? They're getting a letter or e-mail explaining that their lawyer is going on vacation, from them, and their case. They should take one too.

So to the county court prosecutor that objected to my request for a continuance on a DUI case I say, well nothing yet, the case is still pending. To the federal prosecutor that agreed to my continuance on a trafficking in heroin case where there is a 5-year minimum mandatory sentence, and to the federal judge who granted it without a hearing, I say thank you.

To all my brethren out there, I say, buy some tickets, rent a car, get the hell out of town for a while.

Why not?

Brian Tannebaum is a criminal defense attorney in Miami, Florida practicing in state and federal court. To learn more about Brian and his firm, Tannebaum Weiss, please visit www.tannebaumweiss.com

No comments:

Post a Comment