Saturday, July 10, 2010

To Kill A Mockingbird Turns 50

July 11, 1960, To Kill A Mockingbird was published. Look above, and it's obvious the story has great meaning to me. The Washington Post blog has a great post about the background of the book.

Author Harper Lee, known to be quite reclusive these days, sent me a message a few years ago. I had written an article for the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (FACDL) magazine commerating the death of Gregory Peck. After it was published, the executive director of FACDL called me and asked if I was sitting down. She told me Harper Lee read the article and liked it.

The Death of Atticus Finch

As I sat in stunned silence, she went on to tell me that the house FACDL owns in Tallahassee, Florida was purchased from a relative of Harper Lee. This relative for some reason made a point to always read the FACDL magazine. When she saw the article, she sent a copy to Ms. Lee.

So other than being a criminal defense lawyer, that's my "connection" with the story, my "brush with greatness."

I found this video, it captures the essence of To Kill A Mockingbird as best as I've seen, although the music is a little misplaced.

Enjoy, and happy anniversary to a story that should be required reading, or viewing.

Brian Tannebaum is a criminal defense lawyer in Miami, Florida practicing in state and federal court, and the author of The Truth About Hiring A Criminal Defense Lawyer.Share/Save/ rules Post to Twitter